Cups and Competitions - Image Header

OBI United score last minute penalty to secure cup final success

The Cup Report
Boys U14s Cup
Boys U14s Cup

OBI United Corbas secured the U14’s Boys Cup after a 2-1 victory over South Cave Sporting Bears. After goals from Steven Keen and Oliver Omand made it level at 1-1 respectively, Oliver scored a penalty in stoppage-time to secure the prestigious trophy for OBI.

It was a fast start to the final as Alfie Harrison fired a shot over for South Cave while Archie Wraith blocked Jack Evins’ drive. Adam Bolger was next to take aim, heading wide from Evins’ corner before South Cave took the lead. Jack Rudson’s long free-kick was brought down by Keen and he volleyed the ball past the dive of Max Sadler to open the scoring in the final.

OBI responded as Luke Malt was forced into a smart save to push Matthew Skelton’s deflected drive behind, before the South Cave goalkeeper was gracious to his defence for defending his goal line after dropping two crosses in quick succession. Malt redeemed himself though by beating away Harrison Glendinning’s drive moments later.

South Cave were reduced to ten men as Alex Deeks was sent to the sin-bin and OBI capitalised on their advantage by scoring their equaliser on the 24th minute. Kristian Hansford raced through on the left wing, before squaring the ball for Omand to score.

There was chances for both teams to take the lead before half-time as Malt saved well to deny Skelton from a tight angle, while Rudson fired over from a free-kick. Kristian Hansford then forced a save from Malt as it ended level at the break.

In the second-half, OBI seemed to create the majority of the chances as Bolger dragged a shot wide while Malt produced a fine stop from close-range to deny Harvey Rodgers. Harvey Dines then blocked Harry Millington’s attempt before Omand headed wide from a corner.

Despite South Cave having some good passing moves, the defence of OBI restricted them very well in the second-half and restricted them to limited opportunities. At the other end, Malt was sharp off his line to clear Omand's through pass for Robbie Mills.

As the game went into injury-time, it looked like the final was going to be decided through a penalty shootout. However, after referee Simon Clark initially waved play on, assistant Madison Taylor had her flag raised for a possible handball against South Cave. After Clark consulted with his assistant, he pointed to the spot and Omand stepped up and scored to put OBI ahead. They could have scored a third as Malt stopped Sam Wilson putting the ball into his own net from Barker’s low cross, as OBI United secured the U14’s Boys Cup Final.


SOUTH CAVE SPORTING BEARS: 1. Luke Malt (GK), 2. Jack Rudson, 3. Archie Wraith, 4. Alex Deeks, 5. Ashton Morrison, 8. Owen Holmes, 9. Alfie Harrison, 11. Harvey Dines, 12. Steven Keen, 14. Ben Anderson, 15. Sam Wilson. Rolling Substitues: 16. Callum Woodcock, 17. Henry Hart.

OBI UNITED CORBAS: 1. Max Sadler, 2. Adam Bolger, 3. Edward Lister, 4. Harrison Glendinning, 5. Joshua Jenkinson, 10. Robbie Mills, 11. Jack Evins, 12. Matthew Skelton, 14. Harvey Rodgers, 15. Oliver Omand, 23. Fergus Barker. Rolling Substitues: 21. Tyler Wilson, 8. Harry Millington, 7. Freddie Mills, 9. Kristian Hansford, 17. Felix Parker.

MATCH OFFICIALS: Simon Clark (Referee), Darren Freeman & Madison Taylor (Assistant Referee’s), Pete Harris (Fourth Official)