Cups and Competitions - Image Header

St Marys hold their nerve in shootout to win Cup

The Cup Report
Intermediate Cup Final
Intermediate Cup Final

St Mary's AFC

St Mary’s AFC won the Intermediate Cup 5-4 on penalties, after a 2-2 draw against Kingfields FC at the Roy West Centre. After George Docherty saved Dom Boothby’s spot-kick, captain Adam Wilberforce scored the decisive penalty for his side to win the prestigious trophy.

St Mary’s were fastest out of the block, almost scoring within the opening twenty seconds as Cedric Prempeh curled his shot narrowly wide. The striker then tested Owen Boothby in the Kingfield’s goal, before from the resulting corner by Dennis Istrate, Harold Djeukam headed wide.

Sean Rispin dragged an effort wide for Kingsfield, while Boothby produced a stunning acrobatic save to deny Wilberforce. Cam Walker was next to take aim, but his effort was blocked by Ben Brooke, before the midfielder missed from close-range following Prempeh’s cross-shot.

Docherty was then tested in the St Mary’s goal, beating away Aaron Broxham’s volley, before reacting quickly to deny Gordon Baird one-on-one. Broxham then drilled his volley narrowly past the post before at the other end, Wilberforce saw his goal-bound effort blocked, while a sliding Walker couldn’t get a decisive touch on Prempeh’s cross, as the first half ended goalless.

In the second half, it took Kingfields just three minutes to break the deadlock. From their corner, Boothby rose highest to head in the opener from six-yards out. However, St Mary’s equalised just seven minutes later from their own corner as Kane Williams got the decisive touch to level the scores.

Following on from those opening exchanges in the second half, the game exploded into life as Walker tested Boothby from range, before from the resulting corner, Cody Wilks saw his header cleared by the Kingfields defence. In the other goal, Docherty held Broxham’s cross-shot before St Mary’s took the lead on the 71st minute.

Istrate used trickery to beat his man before drilling a low cross for Wilberforce to divert into the back of the net to make it 2-1. However, Kingfields received a chance to equalise ten minutes later through the penalty spot. As Danny Preston was shaping to shoot, Docherty brought down the attacker and referee Martin Potter pointed to the spot. Ben Leamon stepped up and sent Docherty the wrong way to level the scores.

There was opportunities for both teams to score a winner in the final minutes as Walker fired an attempt over, before Kieran Leamon just couldn’t reach a low cross across the goalmouth. Boothby produced a vital save in injury time, coming sharply off his line to block Istrate as the game went to penalties.

After the first seven penalty takers all scored from the spot, Docherty saved Dom Boothby’s penalty well with his feet. This led to Wilberforce to take the decisive penalty and he calmly sent Boothby the wrong way to secure the Intermediate Cup for St Mary’s AFC.


ST MARY’S AFC: 1. George Docherty (GK), 2. Corey La’Touche, 4. Harold Djeukam, 5. Joe Farrah, 7. Adam Wilberforce, 8. Cam Walker, 9. Denis Istrate, 12. Cedric Prempeh, 14. Nathan Davis, 16. Ryan Brusch, 17. Josh Hirst. Substitutes: 18. Cody Wilks, 20. Brett Daniels, 10. Alfie Speed, 11. Kane Williams, 6. Tom Cracknell.

KINGFIELDS FC: 1. Owen Boothby (GK), 3. Bob Warrell, 5. Alex Thomas, 6. Ben Brooke, 12. Shane Cass, 14. Daniel Whitfield, 2. Craig McCall, 7. Ben Leamon, 16. Gordon Baird, 10. Sean Rispin, 8. Aaron Broxham. Substitutes: 11. Dan Preston, 15. Kieran Leamon, 9. Dom Boothby, 13. Danny Robinson.

Match Officials: Martin Potter (Referee), Neil Hambley & William Teasedale (Assistant Referee’s), James Dunford (Fourth Official)

PENALTIES: [St Mary’s elected to go first]








C. Walker


D. Istrate


J. Hirst


N. Davis


A. Wilberforce



B. Leamon


S. Cass


R. Brusch


D. Boothby



(St Mary’s AFC win 5-4 on penalties)

St Mary’s AFC Goalkeeper George Docherty:

“I have to give full credit to all the lads who stepped up and had the bottle to take the penalties. Everyone scored and I was lucky enough to get my foot to Dom Boothby’s penalty and make up for the penalty I conceded earlier on in the game as Kingfields FC are a very strong and very tough outset. They’re big and strong physical lads and at times they were putting themselves about, but at the end of the day, I think the better team won.

“Up until their equaliser, it was a pretty good game and I thought I was doing well personally. I thought it was a tough penalty to concede, but the referee had his decision and you’ve got to move on from it, but hopefully I’ve redeemed for it at the end with the save in the shootout.

“I’ve been in shootouts before with results on both ends, so I know what it feels like and I really didn’t want to lose, especially after getting close to some of the previous penalties, but I was really glad to get to that last penalty and watch ‘Wilber’ (Adam Wilberforce) put that last one away; it was a huge relief and great feeling!

“It’s a great start to our season and hopefully we’ll build from here, as it’s a huge boost. We’ve had a really good pre-season and this just speaks the high volume about the hard work the lads have put in, so we go from here to keep the winning form going and hopefully aim for more league and cup titles.”

Kingfields FC Manager Matthew Campbell:

“Firstly, I have to congratulate Ricky Spencer and his lads. It’s always a tough, but enjoyable game when we play them and tonight was no different. They play some really fast attacking football and they looked sharp on the ball throughout. They’ve got some quality players and I know they’ve strengthened well and they have a top set-up.

“We had a good start and looked like we were going to play good football, but we started to go into our shell when St Mary’s pushed us back and we started hoofing the ball just to clear our lines. We tried making changes at half-time to reduce the impact coming from their wingers and allow us to create better options off the ball, which I think is why we got the lead through Dom Boothby.

“I thought their first equaliser was maybe a foul on our man, but then going a goal down, the lads could have easily given up, but even with some injuries, I have to give credit to my lads as they continued to push on and get that decisive equaliser through the penalty spot.

“I think 2-2 was probably a fair end to the ninety minutes, but with penalties, it’s a lottery. The lads are obviously disappointed, but we will give it another good go next season in the cup and league.”