Cups and Competitions - Image Header

Sproatley hit double figures!

The Cup Report
Sproatley Juniors defeat Driffield JFC and reach Frank Varey / Dr Lilley Cup Final

Superb Sproatley Score Double Figures to Progress to Final

Sproatley Juniors U17’s produced a clinical performance to defeat Driffield Juniors U17’s 12-1 to progress into the final of the Frank Varey / Dr Lilley Cup. Striker Kai Perkins netted five goals while Christian Hadgraft scored a hat-trick and further goals were added by Tom Havler, Curtis Taylor, Joe Reeves and Jack Berry to round off a superb performance, with Jake Pinkey netting a consolation for the visitors.

Driffield produced some great passing play early on and it was them who created the first chance of the game as Harvey Smales’ free-kick was punched away by Matt Bennett. However, the opener came on the sixth minute for Sproatley as Hadgraft found Hanler at the back post, who converted his cross from close-range. Hadgraft then nearly scored moments later as he latched onto Bennett’s long kick, but the striker poked his effort wide, before Hanler headed over from Ellis Miller’s cross.

Hanler though did manage to score his second in almost identical terms to the opener as Hadgraft picked out the striker at the back post to double the hosts’ lead. And Hanler completed his hat-trick just two minutes later as Tom Hergison’s free-kick wasn’t cleared by the Driffield defence and the striker diverted Reeves’ cross to make it 3-0 to the hosts.

Sproatley continued to try and increase their advantage as Hadgraft’s clever back-heel released Berry through on goal, but his effort was saved by Jack Oakley. Reeves then saw his shot blocked by Jack Cooke, before Perkins poked an effort wide of goal. At the other end, Callum Schuller connected with Matthew Anderson’s cross and was very unlucky to see his effort deflect wide, while Bennett produced a fingertip save to deny Smales.

In the other goal, Oakley parried Reeves’ drive, before Sproatley scored their fourth. In added time, good passing play on the left wing created space for Hadgraft to turn and fire his strike into the top corner to give the hosts a 4-0 lead at the half-time break.

In the second half, it took three minutes for Sproatley to score their fifth as Ayatu Mututengua found Hayler and the winger volleyed his effort off the underside of the crossbar to add his name to the scoresheet. The winger nearly scored again, but he volleyed Berry’s cross wide, while Driffield failed to capitalise on Bennett’s mistake from Schuller’s corner.

Oakley was by far the busier keeper and he produced two good saves to deny Perkins on both occasions while Bennett denied Harvey Botterill, before Sproatley scored their sixth. Mutuengua’s great run and cross was diverted by Perkins, before the referee sin-binned defender Ryan Langton for dissent. Following that dismissal, the floodgates opened as Sproatley scored four goals within ten minutes.

Less than a minute following the sin-binning, Taylor rifled home from Reeves’ cross, before he turned provider for Hadgraft to net his second. Oakley then beat away Reeves’ drive, before Perkins netted his fifth goal with a low strike into the bottom corner. Hadgraft then scored the tenth goal for his side as he produced a tidy finish following his great solo run to secure his hat-trick, before Reeves scored number eleven with his strike hitting the inside of the post before bouncing in.

There was still plenty of action in stoppage time as Driffield scored a well deserved goal. Smales’ delivery found Pinkney in the penalty area as he poked the ball past Bennett, before Oakley saved well from Havler. Sproatley then received a penalty in the last minute of stoppage time and Berry stepped up and sent Oakley the wrong way to score his sides’ twelve to complete a very professional performance.


SPROATLEY JUNIORS U17’S: 1. Matt Bennett (GK), 18. Tyler Scott, 17. Ayatu Mututengua, 5. Adam Rooms, 3. Ellis Miller, 2. Tom Herbison, 7. Harvey Newton, 9. Kai Perkins, 12. Christian Hadgraft, 10. Joe Reeves, 14. Tom Havler. Rolling Substitutes: 11. Jack Berry, 8. Curtis Taylor, 15. Mike Bibby, 6. Jay Hatton.

DRIFFIELD JFC U17’S: 1. Jack Oakley (GK), 5. Jack Cooke, 3. Matthew Anderson, 18. Ryan Langton, 2. Cameron Mcoy-Maple, 10. James Staff, 8. Harvey Smales, 14. Ollie Gray, 7. Harvey Botteril, 11. Harry Stabler, 4. Jake Pinkney. Rolling Substitutes: 17. Ty Pettinger, 9. Callum Schuller. 

Sproatley Juniors Manager Ricky Moore:

“It was brilliant to be back out on the field after lockdown and even more-so after that performance, as we scored some superb goals today. And besides, weekends are for football anyways, end of story!

“The game was played in great spirits and both sets of teams were a real credit to grassroots football today. From the quality of football shown to the intensity and work rate from both teams for the full ninety minutes was superb. I would like to wish Driffield Juniors the best of luck for their upcoming season and we’ll look forward to progressing to the final and potentially win some silverware.”

Driffield Juniors Manager Lee Schuller:

“It was great to be back following the lockdown, despite it not being a great result for Driffield Juniors; maybe the GCSE party looked to have taken its toll. However, I won’t take anything away from Sproatley Juniors who were superb today with a very professional performance and we wish them all the best in the final.

“The boys will certainly learn from this performance and they will certainly look forward to the upcoming season as it will be their last at youth level.” 

Sunday / Youth Cup Round-Up:

In the other games on Sunday, South Cave Bears progressed to the final of the U14’s Cup with a 2-1 victory over Hessle Sporting Bombers. Meanwhile, in the Alf Bolder Cup, North Ferriby U16’s and Elloughton Blackburn have progressed to the final of the competition. North Ferriby defeated AFC Kingston Panthers 4-1 while Elloughton defeated AFC Tickton Terriers 4-0 away from home.