Hull United triumph over East Hull FC


Hull United produced a cup upset to knock out NCEL Division One side East Hull FC at Dunswell Park.

Second half goals from Tresor Kaliwa and Callum Staves sealed the Humber Premier League’s side place in the next round of the East Riding Senior Cup in a 2-0 victory.

It was a game of two halves with the first half not having many clear-cut chances. It was Hull United who had the first chance of this Hull Derby, with Ben Kinsley’s cross being dummied by Sam O’Mally before Tom Barnwell fired a left-footed shot towards goal. However, East Hull goalkeeper Harrison Chapman blocked well after initially spilling the powerful strike. Scott Freeman then saw his glancing header go wide from Josh Dennett’s cross, while the hosts lost midfielder Nathan Doyle early on due to injury.

Chapman was far the busier goalkeeper in the first half and he had to be alert to hold onto Lewis Poucher’s free-kick, before he tipped Kinsley’s curling cross over the crossbar. East Hull’s Stephen Cooper then saw his dangerous cross caught by Liam Gordon, before the Hull United goalkeeper had to be alert to deal with Danny Boyes’ direct-free-kick, as Gary Driscoll looked to pounce on the delivery. Gordon then held Patrick Stephenson’s drive as it ended goalless after the conclusion of the first-half.

In the second half, both teams started to be more creative and it was the hosts who crafted the first chance, with Gordon saving from Adam Leon Ail’s header. East Hull then should have taken the lead after a great one-two between Stephenson and George Harrison created the latter a one-on-one chance, but the midfielder dragged his shot wide. At the other end, Chapman flew off his line to block Kinsley’s effort.

It was end to end stuff past the hour mark with United’s Mike Stansfield firing a header over, after a great cross from Poucher, before East Hull’s Cooper volleyed over Harrison’s delivery from a corner. Harrison then fired a shot over after Leon Ail’s cross was punched by Gordon, while Chapman saved from Kaliwa after O’Mally’s initial shot was blocked on the line.

With both goalkeepers on top form, this game looked like it was heading for penalties, before the deadlock was broken after 72 minutes. A whipped cross from the right saw an unmarked Kaliwa, who headed back across goal which left Chapman stranded and put United ahead.

East Hull responded with Leon Ail seeing his shot blocked after an initial cross, before Cooper fired the rebound into the side netting. Josh Ward then saw his bouncing volley held by Gordon, before a quick free-kick from the visitors saw David Brooke head over.

With the hosts pushing men forward for the equaliser, United then doubled their lead with two minutes left of the ninety to play. A long throw-in from Dennett wasn’t cleared properly by the East Hull defence and that allowed substitute Staves to squeeze the ball in-between Chapman and the post to double the visitors lead. United could have easily scored more in stoppage time as Staves saw his shot blocked on the line, while Barnwell’s sliced his volley narrowly wide.


EAST HULL FC: 1. Harrison Chapman (GK), 2. Josh Burke, 3. Brandon Cowley, 4. Nathan Doyle [16. Danny Boyes 17’], 5. James Murry, 6. Patrick Stephenson [17. David West 59’], 7. George Harrison, 8. Stephen Cooper (C), 9. Gary Driscoll [12. David Watts 66’], 10. Josh Ward, 11. Adam Leon Ail. Substitutes (Not Used): 14. Iwei Braz, 15. Jacob Edison.

HULL UNITED: 1. Liam Gordon (GK), 2. Josh Dennett, 3. Paul Goldie, 4. Scott Freeman [12. Jack Rawling 72’], 5. David Brooke, 6. Tom Barnwell, 8. Lewis Poucher (C), 9. Sam O’Mally, 16. Ben Kinsley [10. Callum Staves 66’], 17. Mike Stansfield, 20. Mike Rustil [14. Trevor Kaliwa 66’]. Substitutes (Not Used): 11. Wesley Naulls, Josh Hancock.


EAST HULL FC Manager Dean Windass:

“We got beat by a better team. They passed the ball well, took the chances when they come along. It was an even game up to half-time, but I said to the players there that it wasn’t good enough. It’s a tough time for them and they’ve got to learn and they’ve got to listen to what I’m saying.

“Hull United did well tonight, but the trouble is we did have a chance with George (Harrison) on the left hand side in the second half and goals change games and if he’d have scored it, then there would have been a different reflection on the game.

“This result tonight isn’t good enough. It’s a local derby and there’s a lot of pride at stake and full credit to United, because they’ve played well and they took the chances when they came along. The second goal was immaterial as the game was over anyways and we wouldn’t have scored if we were playing tomorrow so I’ll try to improve it.

“Of course it is (gutting to lose Nathan Doyle early on due to injury.) He’s the organiser for me and he’s come and helped me out so he’s pulled his hamstring and Patrick’s (Stephenson) hurt his calf, but the players can’t rely on Nathan Doyle. The lads at the back have got to learn and talk themselves so Doyle will be out for a couple of weeks, but it gives an opportunity for somebody else to come in.

“My main priority is the league and that’s what I’m focused on the league. I want to win football matches and we start again on Saturday.”


HULL UNITED Defender Josh Dennett:

“It’s really good the result. It was a real tough game and I thought we played well first half. The first ten minutes East Hull were more on us, but we planted our feet and we actually started playing. The fullbacks had plenty of room all the time and I thought we penetrated them with throw-ins; we could have scored a lot more and overall I thought we had a strong second half as well.

“They were good goals we scored. I put one ball at the back post first half and nobody got on the end of it, so I did it again second half and luckily Trevor (Kaliwa) got on the end of it and finished it. The second goal was a great turn by Callum (Staves) and it was unlucky by their keeper, but we deserved it.

“It was very good as this was my first game against a higher team. I thought I did well so I’m really proud of the boys and I’m looking forward to the next round.

“Honestly, it does not matter who we get in the next round as we do a lot better in the cup than the league. I think that’s our fourth victory in a row; we’re in really good form and looking to continue it.”