Before the formation of the County, football in the area was under the jurisdiction of a Hull & District FA and the Scarborough & East Riding FA.
On 10 February 1902, the Football Association issued ‘the Recommendations of a Commission appointed to enquire into the position of the Yorkshire Associations’. The recommendations came into effect on 1 May 1902 forming the new East Riding of Yorkshire FA – “the area to be the East Riding of York. The present Hull and District Association to change its name and take control of the area.”
During the last 100 years, the County has administered football in the area with the stewardship in the hands of volunteers, with a steady increase in the number of clubs, but very few landmarks – the foremost possibly being the introduction of Sunday football in the early fifties.
However, the FA led expansion of football at all levels has seen dramatic changes in recent years. For the first time an office was set up with full-time paid staff – previously being administered from officers’ homes.
The Association became a Limited Company in 1999 and in 2001 we appointed our very first full-time Football Development Officer appointed.